Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Well Digging has Begun!

Hello Everyone,

Today was the first official day of well digging! I'm quite excited about this project. I have been feeling a little frustrated lately about how long it takes to get things going here, so it's nice that something seems to be working out. It will also be nice to have something concrete in place from our efforts.
I can't believe that I have been here for about 6 weeks already! Yikes! Good thing I still have more time.

Today I am in town doing some shopping. My mission is school supplies for a girl who is being sponsored through a friend of Amanda's. Many of the things kids need for school are only available in town, so it's easier if I pick them up. I'm also hoping to get a good price for some supplies that are needed for the well. Sometimes businesses in town are willing to donate or give discounts to work for community projects.

After that, we have a little more work to do for our family fun day, which will be happening next Thursday. Rachel and I are going to print off some certificates for the winners of the races and are also going to look into getting some prizes.

Hmm,,,, other things we are working on. This afternoon we are meeting with the chair person of a local community based organization (CBO). This group has already written a proposal and received some funding to run an HIV/Aids awareness campaign. I think we are thinking of combining this with a soccer tournament or maybe a league, which could be lots of fun. Everyone in Kenya is crazy about soccer, much to Rachel's dismay, most people are Manchester fans.

And lastly, our trip to Kisumu was fantastic. I shall add pictures later. WE SAW A HIPPO! And I'm not talking about in a zoo or wildlife sanctuary. We were in a boat on lake victoria. We also were able to have some pizza, ice cream, cold beer, a real shower, electricity...it was quite the week-end. Before we left we also went to a craft market. I was excited to see a market that had a little more than the basic household stuff. There were lots of beautiful soap stone carvings, and they were super cheap because they come from a town not far away. I think I'm gonna have to get another bag to bring stuff home with me!

That's about it for now. I am starting to think about making some travel plans for April. For as much as I love my little village, it will be good to see a little more of Africa while I am here. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment