Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mzungu x2!

Hello Everyone,

The other volunteer has arrived! It wasn't until I came to pick her up and show her around that I realized how settled into this life I have become!
I was introducing her to everyone, talking about all the projects to work on, and showing her around the village. She has also settled in quite well. We seem to be on the same page for most of the projects, so I think it is going to be great working together. She is also interested in doing some day trips or week-end trips to some of the places around here in our time off, so I'm pretty excited about that. We have even talked about taking a longer trip into Uganda to do a little touring.

Here is a photo of her! Her name is Rachel, and she has come from Wales.


This is right outside of our house. The kids have come to borrow our soccer ball for their break at school. They are from the other school project, Vision Academy. I am planning on helping in this school with PE and creative arts on Tuesdays. The teacher is pretty good, very organized, so the helping out here should be really fun. The kids are very friendly, they are always greeting me whenever I pass the school.

I have now gone for a few runs now, and it has become even more of an event. People are now recognizing me. Groups of kids will run to the edge of the road to wave and greet me. The adults are also waving and cheering. Last time I went for a 20 minute jog, I met four new friends. Each took a little turn jogging with me for a couple of minutes, just enough to introduce themselves and shake my hand. I'm telling you, it's pretty encouraging to my jogging quest, I have my own personal cheering section!

When the distance is too far to run, my piki piki friend Isaa has been teaching me to drive his moterbike. I keep telling him that if he does too good of a job as teacher he will be out of a job, I will be able to drive myself around! Here is a picture of me on the bike.


Ahhh, I am really enjoying life here. It's so nice and relaxing! We tend to either go for a walk or play a little football in the evenings. Here are some photos from our walk yesterday. The is the road near my house. We have decided to head out in search of monkeys. I am told you can see them down by the river. This is me, my friend Daniel and my friend Rose. We are the regulars for walks and football. Daniel has said he would like to jog with me, but he conveniently shows up after I have left every time......



We tend to pick up a few people along the way. We didn't actually see any monkeys, but we had accumulated a crowd of about 20 kids at one point, so I think we may have scared off any wildlife. Rachel and I were laughing at my outfit in this picture. I was telling her that I feel like I dress like a tourist or missionary, but ...it's pretty hot here. I figure I'll stick out no mater what, so I may as well be comfortable!


As we were walking we came across this boy with his cows. It was pretty funny sight, when we jumped to the side of the road to get out of the way. We heard this little kid just screaming at the top of his lungs and wanted to figure out what was wrong......... we were what was wrong. He was terrified of the mzungu! It was funny. I have had that reaction a few times from kids, but it was a first for Rachel.



And lastly, we got back home in time to catch a sunset. Rose took this picture, not bad for someone's first attempt at a camera!

1 comment:

  1. Stacey

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. The girls are really enjoying the pictures and stories.

    Sherri, Hannah & Emily

    ReplyDelete