Friday, January 28, 2011

Running in Kenya

Knowing that my 'running in India' stories were always such a big hit, I thought I'd write today about my first jogging experience in Kenya. One might think that running is popular here, especially since Eldoret is actually very close, but.....not so much in the village.

Now that I know the roads around my house a little better, I thought I would venture out for some running. First of all, everyone at the project site commented that I looked very sporty....I think because I had pants on, and it's pretty rare for females to wear pants here. Before I'd even left the project site, I was asked to jump up and down. I obliged, which the older ladies thought was pretty funny. After that I headed out on the open road. Basically everyone I saw was yelling 'mzungu habari, mzungu habari' so I was pretty much constantly saying mzuri, mzuri in response. Similar to India, I also had many moterbikes and bicycles stopped to ask if I needed a ride, I must be in a rush. The best comment I got though, was an older lady who actually stopped me to ask 'what is wrong!!'. It was pretty funny.

I am going to try and run pretty regularly here, my friend Rose has even promised to come join me. We have set up a fitness plan and if all goes well, I should be in pretty good shape by the time I get back. There isn't tons to do in the evenings, so we have been doing some yoga after dark in our house.

I am also thinking of starting a little run club at the high school nearby. Amanda, the director suggested it because she had heard of a run club that a volunteer from another project had started that was actually pretty popular. It turn into a youth group of sorts, and quite a few girls were interested. If it gets going, we might also combine it with some aids awareness workshops or other education events as well. Amanda has also suggested setting up a soccer league for some of the young people in the community as well. I think she was even approached by a friend who is interested in donating some old jerseys if we get it going! I have already bought a soccer ball in town to play with, which has made me pretty popular. Most kids use an 'african football', which basically consists of foam from old cushions or paper, wrapped in old plastic bags and tied with twine. Here is a picture of it.



I also have a few images to add that I mentioned in earlier posts....

This is a photo of Bungoma. Bungoma is the larger place close to here..... it's not huge, but I do find myself coming here pretty often to buy supplies and things.



And this is Harambe, it is the smaller town closer to where I am. There is an internet cafe here so I do find myself here pretty often. Here is a picture I took when I came for market day.....this is where all my food comes from!



Here is a picture for Sachin. I was telling him about how I walk to an even smaller market nearby and pay 10 Ksh to get my phone charged, he thought it was pretty funny so I have included a picture. He plugs the phone in, then gives you a receipt and you come back in an hour to pick it up.


That's about it for now. We have a new volunteer coming today. She is from Wales and it staying for six weeks. As of right now I am the only mzungu volunteer, so it will be nice to have her here helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment