Friday, April 22, 2011

Trip Update #1 - Kenya

Hey Everyone,

I am back in the village. It was a pretty long trip, big ups and downs, but amazing overall.
Now I just need to post the pictures and remember at least some of the stories.

Our first destination....was Kenya!
We stopped at Naivasha to visit Hell's Gate Park. It was pretty cool. There are no lions or rhinos there, so you can actually rent a bike and go though the park. Through Rachel's fantastic haggling skills we were able to get a super cheap rate for our bike rental......unfortunately this meant that the bikes were terrible, just awful. I pretty much biked standing up the whole time cause the seat hurt so much to sit on. I suppose that's what you get for $3.


What was well worth it however, was the park. It was beautiful, and we even saw a bunch of animals!



I took a fantastic photo of Rachel and the zebra, then when it was my turn....I watched it run away. Nooo!!!


Not a bad view for an afternoon bike ride....


My favorite was seeing the giraffe's run, they are so awkward!




In the middle of the park, there is a huge gorge that you can hike through. We met 3 couples who were interested in doing some hiking, so we hired a local guide to take us. The route is a little hard to find and involved a little climbing, so it was good we had him with us.

There were also some hot springs in the gorge, hence the bright green algae in this photo.


At the end, the view was amazing. This park not as much on the main 'tourist route', I think that made it even better.
That night, we stayed at a place called 'fisherman's camp' which was right on the lake. There were tons of animals around....look at this guy I saw up a tree!


I saw this flag and couldn't resist a photo, Harambee is the closest town to the village I am staying in in Kenya.



The place we stayed was really nice, it was a camp with a big lodge that served food. It seemed so fancy after being in the village for so long! Real Showers! Rachel was pretty excited about the Savanna Dry Cider that was available. While we were sitting on the patio in the evening enjoying some dinner and drinks, the owner of the lodge came up to us and said 'sorry to disturb you, but if you are interested there are hippos on the lawn if you want to walk down and take a look'. Sorry to disturb! Are you kidding! We were able to go down to the lake and see about 7 hippos grazing. I tried to get pictures, but since it was so dark none of them worked out.

The next day we were off to Nairobi. It was a very quick trip to Nairobi because we book the overnight bus to leave that night for Mombasa. We were able to get in a quick visit with Amanda, the director of the organization though. Here I am with her super cute daughter, Malaika. Finally a child that doesn't cry when I am near them!


The next morning we arrived in Mombasa. I never should have complained about the heat in Western Province....it was SO HOT. We hung out by Fort Jesus in the morning, just enjoying the view of the fort and the water.



After a very short visit to Mombasa, we decided to go to Diani beach in the afternoon. Before I left Canada, I lost my swimsuit, so I was in need of a new 'swim costume' as they say here. The selection is somewhat limited......and now I have a swimsuit that is a little more 'bejeweled' than I might normally wear. Kinda funny I guess. The beach was beautiful, it was so nice to just relax and hang out for the day. Rachel also accidentally purchased us a camel ride on the beach. These guys came along asking if we wanted a ride, and we asked how much. They gave us a ridiculous price, so just for fun Rachel responded with what we thought was a ridiculously low price. After a very short negotiation, they agreed. oops! Oh well, it was fun.

The next day...we hopped on a bus for Tanzania.

No comments:

Post a Comment