Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sugarcane and Bat Catching

So...it was easy enough to take care of our rat problem.....and our cat problem.... but we did call in some reinforcement for our bat problem.

Since Rose's room has no windows, bats discovered that it is the perfect place to hang out. We found that there were at least three or four sleeping under her bed!!!! This isn't the hugest problem of all time, but they were bringing bugs into our house to eat... gross. We did a little bit of research about how to get rid of bats, but everything we read was about sealing your house to prevent them from entering. Hmm....that's a bit of a problem in our little mud house. Rama, aka batman, said he could come help us out. Here he is with his tool of choice, a green branch....


Success!!! Luckily, by catching one of the bats...all of it's friends have been scared off and found other shelter.


Later that day, it was discovered that I have been missing one big huge Kenyan experience, chewing sugar cane. It is a favourite hobby of kids and adults alike here. It's pretty common for people to pick up canes that have fallen off the trucks and chew away. Most people here just rip the bark off with their teeth, but Rose was kind enough to prepare some for me instead. I'm sure the dentist will than her for that!


Everyone thought it was pretty funny that I wanted to take so many photos of it.


Here is a much nicer photo of me, my sugar cane and some friends.
I don't think it will be a hobby of mine...although it was a good time, I'll stick with my chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment